Tuesday, March 24, 2009

She's Still My Baby!

As we arrived at Reagan's gymnastics class this morning, she turned to me and asked me if I would please stay to watch her class. That question was music to my ears. Let me explain...

As I mentioned in a previous post, last week was Spring Break here. Now, being that Reagan is not in school, you would think that would have no effect on us. (Other than the traumatizing experience at Chuck E Cheese!) The Little Gym apparently keeps the same schedule as the school system, because they did not have any of the regular weekly classes last week due to Spring Break. Instead, they had themed camps that the kids could sign up to go to for 3 hours each day. I had never dropped Reagan off and left her for any activity before, but another mom in the class was letting her little girl go to the camp, and she convinced me to let Reagan do it with her. So, on Friday last week, I drove Reagan to her camp. On the way there, I was worried how she would handle my leaving. I explained to her how gymnastics was going to be a little different that day in that she would be staying much longer, that she would do some arts and crafts, and that she would have snack time along with her regular gymnastics stuff. I also explained to her that I was NOT going to stay and watch. She sat quietly in her car seat for a few moments, and then asked me, "Well, how am I going to get home?" I laughed and told her not to worry, that I would be back to pick her up once the camp had ended. We arrived at the gym, and she was immediately telling me goodbye. I told her that I would walk inside with her and help her get ready for class... she seemed a bit reluctant to agree, but said OK. Once inside, I helped her put her socks and shoes and snack-pack into her locker, and she then quickly gave me a hug and told me goodbye once again. I was a bit surprised, so I bent down and told her that I would stay until she went into the gym. She looked at me, looked around the room, and then looked back at me again. With an expression on her face that I didn't think I would see for MANY more years, she said, "All the other Mommy's have left. You need to go now!" So, out the door I went. I sat in the parking lot for quite some time trying to figure out how my little girl had grown up in an instant. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to laugh or cry... I ultimately ended up doing a little bit of both! When I went to pick her up later that afternoon, it was obvious that she had not missed me in the slightest. She did run to me and give me a big hug, but she couldn't stop talking about all of the things that she had done. It was comforting to know that she can be so independent, but it made me a bit sad and reminiscent all the same. So, I was pleased beyond belief when she asked me to stay today for her regular gym class. Maybe she will be my baby for just a little bit longer!

5 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I found your blog through Angie's. Glad I stopped by.

Stop by my blog for a visit. Though I am relativity new to blogging, I am loving all my new friends.

I am giving away my first EVER BLOG PRIZE.
I have a gift basket business and it is the most requested gift over the last 15 years.

From the comments I have already received, appears to be something a little different and something anyone could use.

I have been so touched by the comments that I have decided to give 2 boxes . They will be the $100 deluxe size.


I want my blog to encourage others. I have decided that giving is life at its BEST. The drawing will be Saturday!

Mammatalk said...

So hard to let them go. I was so sad to leave my 3 year old on her first day of preschool!

LeAnne said...

i feel your pain...ryan (he was 4) wouldn't let me kiss him on his first day of pre-k!! HEARTBREAKING!! then they do something to remind you that they WILL ALWAYS be our babies:)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I'm totally hearing you! The first time I left Elijah at a classmates birthday party I almost had an anxiety attack.
Why do they grow so fast? It seems they need us for such a short time. I am going to freeze dry my kids so they stay little. I'll let you know how it works.

Momisodes said...

Those moments just break my heart! And when they show those tiny moments of still needing you, you just want to hold on forever :)