Thursday, May 27, 2010

Weekend in Vernon

We made a quick visit up to Vernon a couple of weekends ago to go see Ryan's family. We left the house around 4:00 Friday afternoon, and after several bathroom breaks along the way and a stop for dinner in Kamloops with Ryan's best friend Jeremy, we arrived in Vernon at Grandma and Grandpa's house around 9:30 that evening. Reagan had been fussy and whiny throughout most of the drive, which is VERY unusual for her. She tried to stay awake, but by 8:30 she just couldn't hold her eyes open anymore. She woke up long enough to get a couple of hugs from Grandma before she and I both went to bed.

The next morning, I knew something wasn't quite right when Reagan woke up at 5:00AM! She's an early riser, but never that early. She said that she just couldn't sleep anymore and that she felt funny. She was a little warm to me, but nothing that set off any of my "Doctor Mommy" alarms. We played quietly until Grandma and Grandpa woke up, and then had breakfast before walking up the hill to see Ryan's brother Reece and his wife and kids. Reagan was so excited to see her cousins Riley and Julia.
Julia had a horse show/competition that afternoon, so our visit with them was very short since they had to get on the road with the horse trailer to Kelowna. Regardless, it was a very special morning since it had been a very long time since we had all been together.

We sauntered back down the hill to Grandma & Grandpa's house, and I proceeded to spend the rest of the day (almost 6 hours total) laying out in the sun, working on my tan, and enjoying the view of the lake down below.
Ryan spent the day working on small projects that were in need of repair around his parents house, and his Dad took over the job of supervisor. Reagan and Grandma alternated between playing inside and playing outside! We all joined in on the fun of watching Reagan feed her cousin Julia's horses that had come down the hill for a visit... and for some carrots!
Around 2:00, I realized that it had become super quiet, and I decided to go inside to see what kind of mischief my little munchkin was getting into. I found her and Grandma snoozing in bed for an afternoon nap! That is when I knew that something was definitely wrong with Reagan because she NEVER naps.
Not only was she napping, she was wrapped up under numerous blankets. When I finally got her to wake up shortly before dinner, she was burning up with a fever. She had refused to eat all day (which is not all that unusual for Reagan) and she again didn't want to eat anything for dinner. All she wanted to do was to sleep, and to be wrapped up in blankets. I put her back in bed for the night only a few minutes after we had finished our dinner.

Cousin Riley and his girlfriend came down to join us all for dinner, and they stayed to play a few games of Rook after I got Reagan to bed. The ladies gave a strong whooping to the boys as we beat them with a score of 525 to -45!!! Sorry boys!

Reagan tossed and turned all night long with her fever until it finally broke around 4:00 in the morning. She was still not completely herself the next morning, but she was definitely feeling better! We had to get on the road for the long ride home that morning, but we couldn't leave without getting a picture of Reagan with her Grandparents.
We stopped on the way home to have a picnic lunch that Grandma had packed for us. We literally pulled off of the highway and spread out a blanket for our lunch. Reagan loved it! We made it home shortly before 4:00 Sunday afternoon.

It was a short weekend, but it was a very nice weekend. And even though Reagan wasn't feeling completely herself, she still kept us entertained as only she can with some of her crazy one-liners...

• As we are coming across the summit of the Coquihalla Highway:
"Wow Mommy! Is that the Grand Canyon?" I must say I was pretty impressed to know that she still remembers the Grand Canyon from the trip we made when she was only 2 years old! Of course, as spectacular as it is, it does leave quite the impression!
• After we had been riding for almost 3 hours straight:
"Can we please stop riding now? My bum hurts from sitting for so long!"
• After I had just read to her a sign that was hanging above the toilet at the rest area that said "Do Not Drink Water."
"Well why would anybody drink toilet water anyway?" Good question my dear. I didn't really understand the purpose of that sign either!
• As she is trying to get her Grandpa to walk a little faster as he is in front of her and blocking her path:
"Come on Wilf." said with a loud exasperated sigh that sounded A LOT like Grandma!
• As I am trying to get her to get out of bed Sunday morning after her restless night of sleep the night before:
"I can't get up Mommy. I really think that I am glued to the bed."
Hmmm, I wonder if I could use that last one as a good excuse to get out of going in to work one day?


Mama4Real said...

Did you go to Kalamalka? I loooove Kal lake. I wonder if I know any of your family or anyone they know. Funny, we know Pastors in V (live in Kelowna though) and his name is Wilf.

Hope li'l one is feeling better!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

What a fun trip- well, besides Reagan getting sick. She is a trooper though, isn't she? That view was beautiful!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

It looks beautiful there! I'm sorry Reagan got sick! I'm glad it didn't last long. :)