Thursday, July 14, 2011

Teach Me How To Kayak

My parents have been kayaking since they first started spending their winters in Florida back in January of 2009.  After a few months of lessons and guided adventures, they decided that they were hooked and bought kayaks of their own.  They have been kayaking like pros ever since.  

Ryan and I on the other hand have never even thought about taking up the sport.  Or at least I hadn't given it any thought... apparently my husband had been considering it because this is what I discovered when I walked out onto the deck of our beach house this morning...

Yep, Pops was giving Ryan his first dry-land lesson in kayaking.  Too a novice such as myself, this looked quite ridiculous to see.  But apparently this is step one in the learning process!

It wasn't too long after that they moved the lesson to the water...
 

I nervously held my breath as they paddled out into the middle of the Intracoastal Waterway, thankful that Ryan and I have really good life insurance coverage on each other as I could envision him falling out of the thing while still somehow being attached/trapped/stuck in it and drowning to death!

I never should have doubted the skills of the instructor or the student, as Ryan had a fabulous time out on the water with my Dad.  They did "the loop" around the waterway... up to the backside of Long Beach and back around to Blue Water Point, and then back home.  Ryan said that it was no easy task to accomplish, but that he absolutely loved doing it and being out on the water that way.  He was DRENCHED in sweat by the time that they made it home, and he said it wasn't because it was hot out... it was because he was working every muscle in his body!

Hrmph... maybe I should consider taking up kayaking to lose the last of my Myers baby weight!

1 comment:

Mrs. M said...

I know any kind of rowing is fabulous exercise (if you like to sweat!).