Friday, December 2, 2011

Roseola Scare

Myers has been teething this week, so I didn't get too worked up when he started with a low grade fever.  But when his temperature suddenly spiked to 104.1, I decided it was time to head quickly to our Doctor.  The weird thing was, the fever was his only symptom.  He really didn't even seem to be overly cranky or anything.  Our family physician did a FULL work up on Myers, and the only answer that we could come up with was possibly Roseola.

This was a new one for me, the non-Doctor Doctor Mommy!  Dr. Wong explained it to me in detail and told me what to be on the lookout for in the coming days.  We came home from the doctor's office, I put Myers down for a nap, and then I hopped online to do as much research on this illness as I could so that I would no longer feel ignorant to this disease.

BIG MISTAKE!

The first thing that I read said that roseola is sometimes referred to as "baby measles" because of the rash that will develop post-fever.  Myers had just had his MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine 10 days ago, so I googled MMR.  I began to get worried when I read that rubella is also known as epidemic roseola.  So I began to dig even more, and I googled "roseola after immunizations" since I had now linked roseola to both measles and rubella.

Oh good grief!

Now I was coming upon websites that were suggesting that children who develop roseola after receiving the MMR vaccine can possibly be prone to developing autism from immunizations as well.  It was at this point that I shut down my computer and got back on the phone with our family doctor.

He put my mind at ease, but I still decided to reach out to a family friend from home that is a dermatopathologist.  He further assured me that I was suffering from Overactive Mommy Brain, and that I truly had nothing to worry about.

WHEW!

As it turns out, I was able to prove to myself that I had nothing to worry about... Myers never got the rash when his fever subsided!  It appears that he simply had a 24 hour, unexplainable fever.

Maybe it was just teething after all?  And maybe I need to remember that I am not really a doctor!!!

1 comment:

Tiff said...

One thing my doc always tells me is to stay away from Google when the kids get sick! :) We had an episode in December as well where Emma had strep throat, Drew had scarlet fever, Grant had a raging ear infection and Ben had roseola all at the same time. Amazing that they each had something different (although Strep and scarlet fever are both a strep-thingy) and no one passed anything on to any other child. A week prior, I had caught them all licking a shopping cart. Yup, these are my kids! ;)